All the “in” styles but expect to pay a premium for a brand name that doesn’t go above & beyond in the experience.
Made In: ★★★☆☆
Starting Sofa Price: ★★★★★
See in-person?: ★★★★★
Lead Times: ★★★☆☆
Shipping & Delivery: ★★★★☆
Return Policy: ★★★☆☆
Home Trial: ☆☆☆☆☆
"Your home is nothing if not personal. At West Elm, we're here to help you create a space that reflects you and what you love. That means forward-thinking, problem-solving design that unites value, quality and responsible manufacturing. Because you should feel good about your home—and how it comes together."
Furniture, Outdoors, Rugs, Bedding, Bath, Lighting, Pillows & Decor, Windows, Art & Mirrors, Kitchen & Dining, Garden, Storage
• "Good design" "Good for you" "Good for the planet"
• Assembled in the USA: "We hand assemble and upholster 65% of our sofas close to home, overseeing the manufacturing process to bring you top-notch quality without the middleman or markup."
• Contract grade
• Sustainably sourced: 52% of our wood furniture is sustainably sourced.
• Fair-trade certified: In 2014, we were the first-ever home retailer to join Fair Trade USA.
• More ways to shop your values: "locally made" "organic" "handcrafted" "certified nontoxic"
• Plenty of places to view in person
• Part of the Williams-Sonoma family of brands
• Design Services
• Free Swatches
• west elm Credit Card
• Buy online, pick up in store
• Room Planner tool: Create your dream space and see how your products fit in 3D.
Sustainably sourced: "Our Good Design approach sources more FSC®-certified, recycled & upcycled materials, resulting in less waste."
52% of our wood furniture is sustainably sourced.
66M plastic bottles kept from landfill through REPREVE® recycled polyester.
Organic: Grown without pesticides or chemical fertilizers, organic fibers contribute to healthier ecosystems.
• Trending styles & fabrics
• Variety of silhouettes
• Plenty of upholstery options
• Sectional builder tool to create your own custom configuration
• Quality/Durability concerns
• Lead times are long for anything custom
• Customer support concerns (lot's of complains in comments on social media)
Retail presence in all major cities
Total # of Swatches: 75+
# of Upholstery Types: fabrics, leathers, velvets, boucle, etc available. Depends on item
Material Features Available:
Width & depth options, cushion style, leg style, upholstery
No comfort options, materials based on sofa collection.
8+ modular sofa collections where you create your own configuration
• Reversible cushions
Featured sofa lines from the brand.
In stock, ready to ship
Custom made: 6-12+ weeks
Financing through Affirm
Home Delivery: Flat rate fee based on your location, from $149 to $99. Usually includes white-glove delivery where items are delivered to your home by appointment to your room of choice — and are then unpacked and fully assembled.
Doorstep Delivery service is available for select items at a lower flat rate. With Doorstep Delivery you are responsible for bringing items into your home, assembly is not included.
Ship to Store: Pick up at a local store for items that are not already in stock at the store. Reduced flat rate fee ($19.99 to $249)
minimal. White glove delivery assembles the item for you
Most items are eligible for return within 30 days of purchase or delivery for a refund of the merchandise value.
Home Trial: no
West Elm does not feature reviews on their site, so you must resort to searching. Blog posts come up but a lot of the time they are affiliates so not sure on how truthful. The comments on those blog posts seem to reveal more