Trying to pick a new family friendly sofa? We’re here to help. Here are 5 sofa features to consider when buying the perfect one for you. Kids and pets are both adorable and so much fun but they can have an uncanny ability to leave a trail of disarray behind them. So it’s important to choose highly durable and cleanable furniture to withstand unavoidable spills and scratches caused by your cute, fun-loving kids and pets. Other things to consider are sofa configurations, sustainability, modularity, and sleeper sofas. To simplify your online shopping experience, we compiled some of our favorite family friendly sofas with features to keep them looking unsoiled and plush over time.
At a Glance:
- Rub count
- Performance grade
- Commercial grade
- Removable cushion covers
Luckily most furniture brands offer highly durable and cleanable fabrics. These features may include performance fabrics (highly cleanable and stain-resistant), commercial grade (high rub count), and liquid-resistant (liquid does not sink in). Having a high rub count means that the fabric has been tested with double rubs to see how many it takes before it starts to wear down. The higher the rub count, the more durable the fabric. There are also sofas designed with removable cushions that you can easily remove and throw in the wash when necessary.
Check out our Pet-Friendly Fabrics blog for more information on which brands have the most fabrics with these features.
At a Glance:
- Configurations / Design
- Sleeper sofas
There are a variety of sofa configurations. So, how do you pick? Choose one that can accommodate everyone in the family, as well as fit comfortably into your space. Options may include anywhere from 2-8 seater sofas and sectionals. Sectionals may be L-shaped, and U-shaped. If your family is like most, you can always use extra storage. So look for sofas with a storage chaise or ottoman to make the most of your space. Also keep in mind that choosing a sofa with a padded frame is more child-proof than a sharp wooden frame.
Modular sofas are very family friendly because they can adapt to your needs over time. It can be arranged and rearranged in a wide variety of different configurations. While some sofas are 100% modular, others are only moderately modular meaning they may only have the options to move the chaise but not rearrange the entire sofa. The most modular sofas may have features such as identical seat units, removable arms, removable legs, or a frameless design.
Check out our Top 5 Modular Sofas blog for more detail.
If you or someone in your family is sensitive to chemicals or you simply want to shop sustainably, here are a few things to look for: OEKO-TEX certified and Blue Sign Certified fabrics, wood with low VOC, eco-solvent wood finishes, TSCA Title VI Compliant materials, and GreenGuard Gold Certified materials.
Check out our blog on Sustainable Sofas for more details.
When space is tight and you need a creative way to accommodate more people overnight, a sleeper sofa can come in handy. There are a couple different types of sleeper sofas. First, you could choose a spacious daybed which is at least the same size as a twin bed in width. Some also have ottomans attached to create an even wider sofa equivalent to a full or queen size bed. In addition to a spacious configuration, look for plush, cloud-like cushions with down, feathers or memory foam for extra comfort. Your second option would be a sofa with a pull-out mattress.
Here are 5 of our favorite family friendly sofas:
- 70 fabrics and leathers
- 17 inch seat height, their lowest-profile sofa
- FSC Certified and made in the US
- The cushions feature spring down, feathers and a spring system wrapped in foam
- Over 100 fabrics including pet-friendly, performance grade, commercial grade, and liquid-resistant options
- Modular chaise
- Removable cushion covers
- Customizable wood finish, cushion comfort, upholstery, and configuration
- Sustainable: FSC® Certified, Oeko-Tex Certified and 100% recycled down alternative
- Storage chaise
- Pull-out bed: queen size with gel mattress of high-density foam and gel-infused foam.
- The sofa has reversible cushions
- Removable legs
- Multiple configurations
- Seat and back cushions are made of high-resiliency foam with a feather and fiber blend topper
- Dimension: entire seat width between arms 150 inches, length of chaise to back seat cushion 57 inches
- Low-profile, deep seat cushions and lumbar pillows
- 37 Pet-friendly fabrics
- Seat Dimensions: 56"w x 54"d x 20"h
- Water-based, low-VOC glue
- Cushions are high-density polyurethane foam containing no flame retardants or harmful chemicals.